WHO IS SCHOOL SAFETY SOLUTION?
We are a team of former educators with over 15 years of combined experience in elementary, middle, and secondary schools. We are focused on providing school safety products that meet the safety standards set by school districts and universities. Our unique classroom experience and participation in school security drills allows us to best serve the safety needs of our nation’s schools, churches, and government buildings.
We know firsthand what it’s like to prepare for AND be involved in a lockdown drill or emergency situation.
Our Hideaway Helper lockdown shades, an essential school safety product, was invented by teachers and have been in schools since 2013, playing a critical role in school safety and security in over 2000 buildings across the United States and Canada. We are the only patented lockdown shade on the market. Our patent was applied for in 2013 and issued in 2015. No other company that produces lockdown shades or blinds can accurately claim to have the experience and history of School Safety Solution’s window coverings. School Safety Solution is proud to offer the original lockdown shade for all organizations.
It is School Safety Solution’s mission to save lives!
HOW DOES THE HIDEAWAY HELPER LOCKDOWN SHADE INCREASE SCHOOL SAFETY MORE THAN OTHER WINDOW COVERINGS?
- Hideaway Helper lockdown shades are made of high-quality, blackout, fire retardant fabric and are easy to install using industrial strength adhesive. They are designed to keep individuals out of sight during an emergency and are an essential tool in school security.
- Our classroom lockdown shades deploy instantly without having to think or kneel or bend over. During a lockdown drill or emergency situation, a person only has time to react. A simple pull of the Velcro strap will release the window covering and allow it to fall into place within seconds. This important school safety product is a vital component in school security.
- Over 60,000 Hideaway Helper lockdown shades have helped more than 2000 schools and organizations execute effective lockdown protocols since 2013. They have stood the test of time, with a less than 1% return rate.
- Our blackout lockdown shades are the most effective window coverings on the market. Using feedback from customers over the years, we have tested variations of our lockdown shades to create the most effective solution for covering windows on classroom doors or office doors, sidelight windows, and other windows within a building.
WHY CHOOSE A LOCKDOWN SHADE INSTEAD OF OTHER WINDOW COVERINGS?
Security blinds and roller shades
Security blinds and roller shades are time consuming to close in the event of a lockdown emergency and are more difficult to install. Installation of classroom security blinds or roller shades often requires the use of additional hardware and tools, altering the structure of a door or wall, and may not be compatible on all doors or window areas. In addition, many blinds and roller shades do not meet the standards held by local fire codes.
Hideaway Helper lockdown shades are made of fire retardant fabric, are easy to install, and deploy within seconds of the Velcro tab being released. They are also compatible on all door and other window areas. Our lockdown shades are designed to last and have stood the test of time.
Metal window coverings
Metal window coverings are typically the most expensive choice and will not work on all window sizes and locations. In addition, some metal window coverings are bulky and require a creative storage solution. They also require a person to have to kneel or bend over during a lockdown which forces him/her to take his/her eye off the situation.
Our lockdown shades are affordable and can be made to fit any size window, no matter the width or length. Also, our lockdown shades are hung above the window to be covered, which allows a person to maintain a standing position, able to keep his/her eye on the situation.
Obviously, this is the least expensive choice but the most ineffective. Not only is it time consuming, it also poses a fire hazard and is not guaranteed to be blackout. It is not an effective security solution to have windows covered with paper at all times.
As mentioned before, Hideaway Helper lockdown shades are made of high quality, fire-retardant, blackout fabric. In addition, they deploy within seconds to completely block the view into a room during a lockdown drill or emergency situation. When they are not in use, our lockdown shades remain in a rolled position which allows proper view into a classroom or office.
DOES A LOCKDOWN SHADE NEED TO HAVE A WEIGHTED HEM or A WAY TO SECURE IT AT THE BOTTOM?
The short answers are no and no.
In our over five years of existence, we have tested our product with both a weight at the bottom and Velcro adhesive at the bottom. Neither option adds to the effectiveness of the Hideaway Helper lockdown shade. We provide a complete product that will not require an increase in price or maintenance over time.
Since our blackout lockdown shades are made with extremely high quality, heavy fabric, there is enough weight to help it fall into place quickly and effectively. Adding a weight in the hem only increases manufacturing costs which will increase the cost of our products. We want to keep our lockdown shades at the most affordable price because we want all buildings that participate in lockdown drills to have our Hideaway Helper lockdown shades in place as an added level of protection. It is our mission to save lives!
Our experience as educators helps us understand that adding a way to secure at the bottom, such as additional Velcro adhesive, DOES NOT increase the effectiveness. What it does increase is the time a teacher spends securing his/her classroom. In the event of an emergency situation, there is only time to react, not think through a long list of things “to do”, which includes securing a shade at the bottom.
Having Velcro at the bottom also increases the likelihood for future maintenance. Imagine an elementary classroom full of children who love to touch and pick at everything. There is no chance for a Velcro strip or tabs to stay stuck to the door for a long period of time! The tabs simply become a nuisance and require additional work and costs to the maintenance team.
Compatibility for ALL window covering applications is necessary. Our window covering will work for any window application. The lockdown shade we offer works on inset windows, sidelights, door windows, and other window areas.
HOW DO I GET THE CORRECT SIZE SHADE?
It’s incredibly fast and easy to get the correct size lockdown shade for any window in your building. Basically, you supply the dimensions, width x length, in inches, of the window only and we’ll take care of the rest!
Once we receive the window dimensions, we create a lockdown shade size. Typically, we add 4” of fabric to the width to allow for a 1-2” overhang on each side. In addition, we increase the length of our security blinds by 6”. The extra inches in length compensate for the 2” adhesive Velcro strip at the top of the classroom window covering and allows the shade to hang 3-4” lower than the window. Increasing the size of the lockdown shade guarantees proper coverage when it falls into a place.
There are some cases where windows won’t allow for extra fabric to be added to the width and length of a lockdown shade. If this is true for you, we are happy to create a quote with the exact measurements that you provide. Just be sure to draw our attention to your needs on your quote request or via email. We want to make sure you get the exact school safety product you need to provide the maximum security in your building.
WHAT FABRIC IS USED TO MAKE HIDEAWAY HELPER LOCKDOWN SHADES?
Our high-quality, blackout classroom window coverings are 100% polyester.
WHEN DO I NEED EXTENSION STRAPS?
HOW EASY IS IT TO INSTALL HIDEAWAY HELPER CLASSROOM WINDOW SHADES?
Oftentimes, schools will order our window coverings and simply hand them out for teachers or other staff to install on their own classroom or office door. Other buildings may opt to have their maintenance department hang all of the security shades. The bottom line is that our shades are so incredibly easy to install, anyone can do it!
WHAT IS THE ORDERING PROCESS?
1. Submit window measurements and quantities by clicking on the Request a Quote tab or one of the Request a Quote buttons found throughout our website. You can also email us at email@example.com
2. Once we receive your information, we will email a quote to you within 2 business days. You are not committed to purchase when you receive a quote. All quotes expire after 30 days.
3. After reviewing the quote and you are ready to proceed, we will process your order as soon as we receive one of the following three confirmations… signed quote, email commitment, or purchase order.
4. An invoice will be emailed once your order is processed.
5. When your order has shipped, you will receive an updated invoice that includes tracking information.
WHAT FORMS OF PAYMENT DO YOU ACCEPT?
We are happy to accept checks and credit cards (without a processing fee).