WHO IS SCHOOL SAFETY SOLUTION?
We know firsthand what it’s like to prepare for AND be involved in a lockdown drill or emergency situation.
Our Hideaway Helper lockdown shades, an essential school safety product, was invented by teachers and have been in schools since 2013, playing a critical role in school safety and security in over 2000 buildings across the United States and Canada. We are the only patented lockdown shade on the market. Our patent was applied for in 2013 and issued in 2015. No other company that produces lockdown shades or blinds can accurately claim to have the experience and history of School Safety Solution’s window coverings. School Safety Solution is proud to offer the original lockdown shade for all organizations.
It is School Safety Solution’s mission to save lives!
FOUR REASONS WHY THE HIDEAWAY HELPER LOCKDOWN SHADE INCREASES SCHOOL SAFETY MORE THAN OTHER WINDOW COVERINGS.
2. Our classroom lockdown shades deploy instantly without having to think or kneel or bend over. During a lockdown drill or emergency situation, a person only has time to react. A simple pull of the Velcro strap will release the window covering and allow it to fall into place within seconds. This important school safety product is a vital component in school security.
3. Over 60,000 Hideaway Helper lockdown shades have helped more than 2000 schools and organizations execute effective lockdown protocols since 2013. They have stood the test of time, with a less than 1% return rate.
4. Our blackout lockdown shades are the most effective window coverings on the market. Using feedback from customers over the years, we have tested variations of our lockdown shades to create the most effective solution for covering windows on classroom doors or office doors, sidelight windows, and other windows within a building.
WHY CHOOSE A LOCKDOWN SHADE INSTEAD OF OTHER WINDOW COVERINGS?
Security blinds and roller shades
Security blinds and roller shades are time consuming to close in the event of a lockdown emergency and are more difficult to install. Installation of classroom security blinds or roller shades often requires the use of additional hardware and tools, altering the structure of a door or wall, and may not be compatible on all doors or window areas. In addition, many blinds and roller shades do not meet the standards held by local fire codes.
Hideaway Helper lockdown shades are made of fire retardant fabric, are easy to install, and deploy within seconds of the Velcro tab being released. They are also compatible on all door and other window areas. Our lockdown shades are designed to last and have stood the test of time.
Metal window coverings
Metal window coverings are typically the most expensive choice and will not work on all window sizes and locations. In addition, some metal window coverings are bulky and require a creative storage solution. They also require a person to have to kneel or bend over during a lockdown which forces him/her to take his/her eye off the situation.
Our lockdown shades are affordable and can be made to fit any size window, no matter the width or length. Also, our lockdown shades are hung above the window to be covered, which allows a person to maintain a standing position, able to keep his/her eye on the situation.
Obviously, this is the least expensive choice but the most ineffective. Not only is it time consuming, it also poses a fire hazard and is not guaranteed to be blackout. It is not an effective security solution to have windows covered with paper at all times.
As mentioned before, Hideaway Helper lockdown shades are made of high quality, fire-retardant, blackout fabric. In addition, they deploy within seconds to completely block the view into a room during a lockdown drill or emergency situation. When they are not in use, our lockdown shades remain in a rolled position which allows proper view into a classroom or office.
DOES A LOCKDOWN SHADE NEED TO HAVE A WEIGHTED HEM or A WAY TO SECURE IT AT THE BOTTOM?
In our over five years of existence, we have tested our product with both a weight at the bottom and Velcro adhesive at the bottom. Neither option adds to the effectiveness of the Hideaway Helper lockdown shade. We provide a complete product that will not require an increase in price or maintenance over time.
Since our blackout lockdown shades are made with extremely high quality, heavy fabric, there is enough weight to help it fall into place quickly and effectively. Adding a weight in the hem only increases manufacturing costs which will increase the cost of our products. We want to keep our lockdown shades at the most affordable price because we want all buildings that participate in lockdown drills to have our Hideaway Helper lockdown shades in place as an added level of protection. It is our mission to save lives!
Our experience as educators helps us understand that adding a way to secure at the bottom, such as additional Velcro adhesive, DOES NOT increase the effectiveness. What it does increase is the time a teacher spends securing his/her classroom. In the event of an emergency situation, there is only time to react, not think through a long list of things “to do”, which includes securing a shade at the bottom.
Having Velcro at the bottom also increases the likelihood for future maintenance. Imagine an elementary classroom full of children who love to touch and pick at everything. There is no chance for a Velcro strip or tabs to stay stuck to the door for a long period of time! The tabs simply become a nuisance and require additional work and costs to the maintenance team.
Compatibility for ALL window covering applications is necessary. Our window covering will work for any window application. The lockdown shade we offer works on inset windows, sidelights, door windows, and other window areas.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW BEFORE AND WHILE I MEASURE MY WINDOWS?
1. Pay attention to the window from the side in which the lockdown covering will be installed. Typically window blinds are installed on the inside of a room.
2. Inspect the clearance space ABOVE the window. Hideaway Helper lockdown shades have a 2-inch adhesive Velcro strip at the top which means you will need at least 2 inches above the window to attach the shade. If you do not have enough room, please contact us. We are always happy to find a solution to meet your needs.
3. Look carefully at what is IN-LINE WITH or BELOW the window. If there are any obstructions such as crash bars, door handles, window ledges, or even the floor, we can work with you to design your shades so they deploy properly despite these obstacles.
4. Provide window pane dimensions only (W x L) in inches by clicking a “Request a Quote” button on our website or emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
5. Once we receive your window dimensions, we will create a lockdown shade design size.
Typically we add 4 inches of fabric to the width to allow for a 1-2″ overhang on each side.
In addition, we increase the length of our security blinds by 6 inches. This extra length compensates for the 2-inch adhesive Velcro strip at the top of the shade and also allows the shade to hang 3-4″ lower than the window.
6. If you run across questions or a need for clarification, please feel free to contact us by calling 888-733-0406 or emailing email@example.com. We want to make sure you get the exact school safety product you need to provide maximum security in your building.
WHAT FABRIC IS USED TO MAKE HIDEAWAY HELPER LOCKDOWN SHADES?
WHEN DO I NEED EXTENSION STRAPS?
HOW EASY IS IT TO INSTALL HIDEAWAY HELPER CLASSROOM WINDOW SHADES?
Oftentimes, schools will order our window coverings and simply hand them out for teachers or other staff to install on their own classroom or office door. Other buildings may opt to have their maintenance department hang all of the security shades. The bottom line is that our shades are so incredibly easy to install, anyone can do it!
WHAT IS THE ORDERING PROCESS?
2. Once we receive your information, we will email a quote to you within 2 business days. You are not committed to purchase when you receive a quote. All quotes expire after 30 days.
3. After reviewing the quote and you are ready to proceed, we will process your order as soon as we receive one of the following three confirmations… signed quote, email commitment, or purchase order.
4. An invoice will be emailed once your order is processed.
5. When your order has shipped, you will receive an updated invoice that includes tracking information.