It is imperative that a teacher extensively safeguards their preschool classroom. From moving dangerous supplies (sharp objects, choking hazards, and poisonous cleaning materials) out of reach, washing and sanitizing the classroom, removing safety hazards (misplaced toys, extension cords, and bunched rugs) from the floor, and managing classroom behavior, a teacher’s role is paramount to the success of a learning environment. However, an additional safety strategy to implement in the preschool classroom is protection from outside dangers. Below, we explore various products that help promote safety in the preschool classroom.
How to Promote Safety in the Preschool Classroom
With a room full of toddlers, it can be difficult to protect everyone without proper plans, procedures, and safety products all in place. However, parents want to feel confident that their preschoolers are safe and protected at school, whether that is through safety drills, safety products, or enhanced security measures.
Plan and Prepare
During an intruder alert, schools must have proper safety measures in place with the intention to prevent as much tragedy as possible. We provide three key safety solutions that help plan and prepare for intruder emergencies in the preschool classroom.
Hideaway Helper Lockdown Shades
The phrase “out of sight, out of mind” perfectly summarizes the goal of this product. If an intruder cannot see into a classroom, they do not know if the classroom is either empty or full of students. As a result, they have a higher likelihood of moving on.
Our Hideaway Helper Lockdown Shades lockdown shades are made with fire retardant—NFPA 701 compliant—blackout polyester fabric. They are user-friendly, designed to be quickly deployed whenever needed but not easy for students to mess with. We have standard sizes and customizable options, as well as extension straps, so we can help you protect every window in every room, especially interior classroom door and sidelight windows.
Hideaway Helper Lockdown Shade features include:
- High quality, blackout fabric
- Includes weighted hem-bar
- Quick deployment
- Fire retardant (NFPA 701 compliant)
- Easy installation
- No hardware
- No drilling
- Patented design
- Made in the USA
- One Year Limited Warranty
TeacherLock™ Classroom Door Lock
Deadbolt locks are one of the strongest options in door security. Our TeacherLock™ classroom door lock has a unique locking feature that cannot be forced back into the door, preventing unwanted entry with a simple turn of the lock. This locking mechanism is one of the quickest on the market, and is compliant with International Building Code, ADA, and NFPA safety guidelines.
The TeacherLock™ is easily installed and can only be used by individuals with the key—eliminating any worries about students using it for any reason. It is used without needing to bend over or kneel, making it easy to activate when needed, even in a stressful situation.
TeacherLock features include:
- Compliance with International Building Code, ADA, and NFPA Life Safety guidelines
- Cost-effectiveness, perfect for a range of school budgets
- Easy installation on any door
- Bullyproof: only individuals with a small activator can trigger the lock. This activator gives control to a specific individual, the teacher. Some alternative door locks can be accessed by anyone, moving control from the teacher alone to the students.
- Fast deployment: the lock bolts within seconds, utilizing an activator. Because the teacher does not have to bend over or kneel, deployment is efficient, effective, and ergonomic.
- Accessible by emergency personnel from the outside
SAFEBOLT™ Barricade Lock
The SAFEBOLT™ Barricade Lock is designed to be fast and effective. With a quick push of the red button, your classroom door is secured in an instant It is installed over the existing cylindrical lock in your door. The lock is only visible from inside the room, and features a high-visibility deployment indicator, so occupants are aware when the door is secured.”
The SAFEBOLT™ can be opened from the outside only by first responders or faculty members who have the key to unlock the rim cylinder. In addition, the door opens with ease from the inside, so no one can be trapped in the room.
Safebolt features include:
- Compliance with all life safety and ADA codes
- Easy deployment: no lock or activator required; pressing the red button deploys the bolt in under one second
- Easy installation: the Safebolt lock mounts directly over existing locksets for accurate installation.
- Staff and first responders have keyed access from the outside via standard or high security rim cylinder, depending on preference. Inside the classroom, one simple turn of the door handles retracts the bolt and latch.
- A 1-inch locking bolt, made of heavy stainless-steel
- Once the bolt is activated, a high visibility deployment indicator ensures that occupants know the door is bolted
Practice Makes Perfect
Events such as a fire, tornado, or intruder can happen at a moment’s notice. How will a teacher effectively rally their preschool classroom and keep them safe?
It is necessary to make sure every student is aware of escape routes in case of a fire or severe weather alert and can read the clearly marked signs. Oftentimes, evacuations and other emergency drills, such as tornado or earthquake drills, are reviewed and rehearsed at some point during the first month of the school year. However, with preschoolers, it may be helpful to practice the drill a few times to help them remember what to do.
Another major safety threat is from intruders. Students, especially preschoolers, need to know what to do in the event of a lockdown or lock-in, and how to stay quiet for the teacher. To help make these events less stressful, create a simple, yet effective, plan and began practicing it because practice—theoretically—makes perfect.
Promoting Safety with School Safety Solutions
At School Safety Solution, our number one priority is ensuring the highest level of security and safety possible exists in your preschool classroom and campus. Door barricade hardware is the easiest, most efficient way of doing so, but there are several other options you can also take if you really want to go the extra mile.
First, you can check to make sure every door in your building has a solid core, one which cannot be split down the middle by force. Door barricade hardware effectively secures your door; however, if the door itself breaks, there will little that your barricade system can do.
An additional, important component of door safety is a reinforced door frame. When doors are kicked down, it is usually because of a weaker frame. By reinforcing both sides of each door frame, you can make it nearly impossible for unwanted entry on your property or in a classroom.
If you would like to further discuss your door barricade hardware options, or any other security solution in consideration, we would love to assist you. You can call our team of safety experts at 888.733.0406 or send us an email at email@example.com for more information.